Seniors in assisted living facilities in Fremont, NE, and across the country require some stress-relieving spring activities. Note that chronic stress can cause serious health issues for older adults. Thus, it is best to manage stress levels properly. Stress is already a part of life, but it does not mean that you have to let it affect your well-being.
Managing stress with spring activities for seniors
- Physical activity – Stress hormones like cortisol and adrenaline can be reduced with exercise. At the same time, it releases endorphins, the brain chemicals capable of improving your mood. That is why you need to engage in regular physical activity to manage stress in seniors.
- Chair exercises
- Relaxation exercises – It is important to note that mental and physical stress are connected. So, when you feel anxious or stressed, you need to calm down your body so that it can help to calm down your mind.
- Spend time in nature – Spending time in nature can actually lower your cortisol levels as well as reduce psychological and physical stress. Going outside for a walk can be an excellent way to promote senior health and stress management.
- Enjoy music and art – Older adults can engage in hobbies to help with managing stress. That said, even without artistic or musical background, you can participate in singing with a group, such as church choir, community choir, or senior sing-along groups in an assisted living environment.
- Solve puzzles – One way of reducing stress is to engage in mental stimulation, such as solving crossword, jigsaw, and sudoku puzzles. Since puzzles require total concentration, they can be a good distraction when starting to feel overwhelmed with anxiety.
Healthy and fun outdoor spring activities for seniors
As the air is beginning to get warmer and flowers starting to bloom, you know it is time to get out and enjoy the spring season. Seniors in assisted living communities will enjoy this time of year.
Thus, they can take part in the common spring activities to enjoy the weather, have fun, and stay active. Here are top spring activities that can help manage stress for seniors in assisted living.
- Take a walk – For seniors, walking is a great exercise which you can make it a part of your daily routine. You may grab a friend and make it a social event that you can look forward to everyday.
- Do some gardening – When you live in an assisted living environment, you can promote endurance and flexibility by engaging in gardening. Planting fruits and vegetables is also a great way to get some exercise and enjoy the spring weather.
- Spring cleaning – You can get through your old belongings and donate anything that you no longer need. That said, you can clean a cluttered space and you will be surprised at how you will be able to relieve your stress levels.
There are so much more spring activities able to relieve stress for seniors in assisted living. Perhaps it is time to consider doing fun activities that seniors will love during the warm sunny days of spring.
Looking for homey, reliable, and resident centered assisted living facilities in Fremont, NE? Click here to be directed to our Services and Amenities page for Providence Place Memory Care.
Providence Place of Fremont is proud to offer its Assisted Living Services to Fremont NE and its Surrounding areas and Cities: Inglewood, Cedar Bluffs, Ames, Leshara, Arlington, Fontanelle, Nickerson, Telbasta, and North Bend